For love of rotis

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My love for rotis, different types and sizes, is my only trait thats not evidently south-indian :) I can practically go without rice for months without temptation. It caught on from my mother, who had in quest for a healthier family meal, learnt the art of making perfect bubbled phulkas during her years in Pune. She can fix the rotis from almost anytype of flour. Later she moved to carrot parathas, cabbage teplas, kulchas, aaloo parathas, rumali rotis and more.

Her phulkas still remained a master piece with every roti practically round and bubbling like a dream on the gas flame. And when smothered with a spoonful of ghee, I would gobble down way more than the stomach's capacity. I took a while to get my rotis in shape and another pregnant pause to get them to "phul" completely and the gas flame is a huge weakness for the phulka lover in me!For the same reason, gujju and marwadi food! :)

Considering N is a cringer for rotis and it is with utmost pain he manages to eat them for lunch every weekday, I ensure I give him the complete benefit of hogging rice on weekends. That also means my experiments with rotis are eaten by me alone; while N sticks to the traditional phulka and doesnt venture further. I have tried jowar and besan -di- roti and loved both. I have also ventured a lot into kakdi/beetroot/methi/pudina parathas.

So this time it was Bajra ki roti on the menu. I had it many years before at a rajasthani place in hyd. I hadnt realised it was an art to make it. Since the flour doesnt have enough gluten to hold it, it cannot be spread with the roti roller. It has to be done by hand. Nevertheless, I struggled quiet a bit, youtubed for help and finally managed it just fine in the end. It was totally yum with punjabi rajma with dahi on the side :)

Are you a roti fan too? Have you tried making anyhing new? How did it turn out?

Healthy eating everyone! Hope to see more posts.

--------------------------------------
In case you are interested -






2 comments:

Anu Menon said...

My love for rotis/chapatis started as a child when only the men in the family were served chapatis for dinner... It was a treat to get one! So when i grew up enough to be trusted with the flame i started learning how to make em.. It simply isnt on an everyday menu coz both parents work n it takes time n stuff u know... When i finally left home to work i had myself 2 gujju roomies who make phulkas n taught me too :D

Ram said...

Heya...just got active once again in bloggerville after a looooong hiatus.

Your post made me think about how much I miss Rotis. I'm living away from family and am forced to cook rice every work-day for lack of time.

I can make rotis though but it takes a lot of time and patience. :-)

Green tea with Brownies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino