A dallop of avial

Wednesday, March 10, 2010


I am surprised that this is my first Kerala recipe on the blog. I was sure I would flood it with them! :P
So I decided to start with the easiest and most popular. I agree that kerala recipes are an acquired taste and do not appease everyone in one go. And I know it well, for N isnt an instant lover of any food in general and I have modified my traditional kerala cooking to suit a 'generic' taste bud!

If you are looking for a lot of nutrition, lots of veggies and a filling meal, there is nothing better than avial. Here is the list of veggies you can add to the authentic avial recipes. But feel free to add any veggie which you think might blend in -

1. Raw hard banana (green)
2. Carrots
3. Cucumber ( all kinds )
4, Melons ( all kinds)
5. yam (chennai kezangu)
6. Koorkai ( chinese potato )
7. Chakka kuru ( jackfruit seeds.. they are yum!)
8. Cashew fruit
9. Drumstick
10. Snake gourd
11. Raw mango

I usually make it quick and easy with cucumber, carrot and raw mango. If I get good drumsticks I pop them in.

Procedure  (this is going to be real easy!)
1. Cut the veggies lengthwise about half the size of your little finger
2. Allow the veggies except raw mango to boil in enough water just to immerse the veggies.
3. Sprinkle some haldi (turmeric) on top pf the sunk veggies.
4. Generously add a spoonful of coconut oil to this boiling mixture. Add salt to taste.
( I get the coconut oil from Hannaford; you can find it in any organic food store. These ones have great flavor, but do not emanate the smell which usually puts every non-mallu off from kerala food! Trust me, because N cannot stand coconut oil and he loves my avial! :) )
5. Throw in at least 7 to 8 curry leaves to this medley.
While the veggies cook,
6. In a mixer, add about a cup of shredded coconut, half teaspoon of jeera and 5 to 6 green chillies
7. Blend it without adding any water until it is smooth like a thick chutney like consistency.
8. When the veggies are half cooked, add the cut raw mango.
9. Once the veggies are cooked add the coconut mix.
10. Dribble another half spoon of coconut oil. Take the mixture off the stove after about five minutes.

Usually avial is thick like a lasagna consistency, but I make it a little gravy like by adding more water in the end, as you can see in the picture. It is my mother's recipe and it is foolproof !

Points to note:
1. Ensure you add one sour/bitter veggie ( raw mango fits the bill well ) Other options, which i know of, haven't tried are bitter gourd,tinda.
2. DONT even think of substituting coconut oil for any other oil. You will not end up with an avial end product
3. My mother makes it with beaten curds too, if you dont have the raw mango in hand. I will post that variation, once I watch her make.
4. Its a flavorful dish, but not a spicy chatpata one. So be warned.

Avial is best enjoyed with adai ( pesarattu). I love it with chapati too! N likes it with rice :)

Happy eating, let me know if you know a different recipe!

0 comments:

Green tea with Brownies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino