I STALKED the soup ( pun intended! ;-) )

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Last time (almost 2 years ago) I had encountered a particular debacle with my soup making. I had attempted the mixer to pulp the scorching hot veggies straight off the pressure cooker, only to have the steaming pieces go haywire and splash on my face. I had however escaped with a few burn scars and caused everyone around a near heart-attack with my screeching!

Hence, I never braved myself to try soups again for a long time; until last week, when I went for minestrone like soup which didn’t require the mixer. My soup-making-soul was kindled and to top it, I have gleefully hit common grounds with N on a soupy dinner love. Going forward, I have decided to make at least one dinner per fortnight supplemented with a hot soup!

This week’s veggie soup seems a lot healthier, for I deviously dumped in it the broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage stalks, which we otherwise throw, for the fear of turning into cows chewing cuds! :P


                                  Colorful veggies for the soup! :)


Recipe –
*  Stir fry Cuds/stalks/all veggies you dig or don’t like to eat in the original form in a spoon of olive oil.
*  Throw in (in Ratatouille style) couple of broken red chillies, few peppercorns, basil leaves, ginger and garlic  to taste and breathe in the green flavor combined with spices!
*  Add tomato in the end, before removing the veggies from the stove, so that it’s semi-cooked.
*  Let them cool down (wait for about an hour!)
*  Add them to the mixer and pulp it adding as little water as possible.
*  In a heavy bottom vessel, add a small scoop of butter. Splutter jeera seeds (optional)
*  Add the pulp to this and enough water to get a soupy consistency. Add salt to taste.
*  Let it simmer with tiny almost-boiling bubbles for about 10 to 15 min.
Serve hot smeared with crushed pepper and oregano flakes.

Note: Add atleast 2 tomatoes to get the tangy touch. I also added the pineapple hard center, which is not otherwise eaten, to give a tinge of sweetness to the soup.

So the next time, before you throw away that hard stalk, think again!

Please share other thoughts on the parts we throw away but are the most nutritious. I recently read about potatoes having most of the good nutrients in the skin. So I am thinking of attempting cooking them with the skin the next time!

Hope everyone is eating healthy and working harder!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noteworthy - Guess who has graced us with her presence and involvement in the blog by signing up for the miles?? I will keep you at bay and leave a small clue - the beacon of vegetarianism among us who does not like vegetables! :)

1 comments:

Sush said...

I had a similar experience too.. I put my hot soup in a blender and pressed on the cap hard so it wouldn't splash everywhere.. I think I pressed on it too hard that the small plastic (which is provided for poring the liquids) cap got pushed in and blended with the soup..It was such a disaster.. I still have to replace the plastic cap for my blender :(

Green tea with Brownies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino