Tofu recipes

Monday, February 22, 2010


The email chain floating around with shritu's suggestions for tofu recipes, I thought I will add it as a post instead...

Divya's experiment -
I made tofu sandwich. I got the extra firm tofu from traders joe. But, the tofu still needs to be handled delicately or it will easily break. If you open the pack, make sure you change the water in which the tofu is immersed everyday of refrigeration.
Procedure -
  • Cut the tofu into slabs thick enough for your sandwich/burger bread. Gently squeeze out as much water as you can.
  • In a flat vessel, add spices of your choice - I added oregano, basil, ground pepper, ground cumin, red chilly flakes. Add 2 tsp of olive oil and mix the spices so that it forms a "dosa-podi" type consistency. Add salt.
  • Smother the tofu pieces with this marinade. Keep it aside for atleast 1 hour. I had it marinated for 3 hours.
  • Toast the tofu in a flat bottom pan. To make it more crunchy, you can add more oil. I was surprised myself that the marinade powders stuck to the tofu really well and didnt wither away while toasting. Toast until it is a golden brown.
  • Enjoy it with honey mustard/ketchup/pickles/ other veggies in your sandwich
My cousin Villus suggests -
Add the tofu pieces like you would add paneer to the paneer mutter recipe. Add them towards the end of the preparation however.

Sandhya's plans-
I was looking for Kung-Pao-tofu recipe last week as I was planning on making one. I got the Kung-Pao sauce from the grocery store to start with :) http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/kung-pao-tofu

Have you tried any recipe with tofu lately, something you have never cooked before or often do? If so post the recipe. Simply edit this post and add on to it or leave a comment.

Mithra's tips

I like firm tofu crumbles with my salad.. a signature one would be to add mesculun greens, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds & tofu tossed with Olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette for a crisp snack or side.

I've heard a lot about these tofu noodles as a great pasta substitute, but I haven't had the courage to try yet!

0 comments:

Green tea with Brownies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino