The austere life

Friday, January 22, 2010


Almost four years ago in Chennai, I had attended a course at Isha yoga foundation. It had comprised of a one month program of pranayams, meditations, good food habits and all things peaceful. I had totally enjoyed it and even put it into practice for almost six months afterwards. And then MS happened, US happened and like all Masters Students, I began to neglect the body and mind!

I had taken away a lot of good things from the course; to love yoga being one of them and I have since attended many yoga lessons at gym and the ‘backbay yoga studio’ lessons in Boston during my internship there. And I also make an honest effort to begin the day with yoga.

Now that I am trying to bring a much needed balance into my diet and exercise regime, I tried to evoke the flavors of the natural foods; I had a chance of eating during the course. The food was all vegetarian and made with natural ingredients and nothing processed. I am sure, I can’t adopt such eating habits for life until sans teeth and coddling grandchildren, but I sure did make it a point to supplement my dinner or lunch with some of these interesting recipes. Here are a few recipes, I recall from the top of my head. They make great salad recipes –

          • Grated beets(yes! I have become a fan!), lemon juice, green chillies, shredded pudina and cilantro,   salt, dry roasted peanuts.
          • Grated carrots, green gram sprouts, grated ginger, lemon, basil leaves, salt
         • Finely cut cucumber, finely cut tomato, neem leaves, fresh pepper corns, moosambi juice, salt 
          •  peeled oranges, fresh grated cabbage, walnuts, methi leaves, grated coconut, cut red chillies



They are all mostly a blend of – one or more fresh veggies + something sour or bitter + something spicy + something citrus + something with a strong flavor.

So mix and match them up, all those veggies and lentils you see around, lying in your kitchen shelf! If you do fix up a great combo, do share them!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a happy note, I have come to know that Sush and her better half are on a salad drive and on the path to achieving the 20LBs-less before march challenge!  And I am hoping its because of that, Sush hasnt posted any new yummy recipes! 

I have been on a sinusoidal curve --
Skipped 3 days workout due to winter indoor allergy, though I snow shoveled :)
Avoided eating rice. substituted dosa with wheat dosas.
Killed it all by having an all KFC dinner (it was wedding day and N used it to advantage for the unhealthy fix)
Trying to get back with salad addendum to dinners!


Hope everyone else is keeping up their goals too! :)
Happy eating and don’t forget to mail me your miles for the week!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Firstly, a very happy anniversary to the two of you!

Love seeing beets pop over the blog! I discovered yellow beets this week in our office Salad bar & was pleasantly surprised. Steamed asparagus is another must try!

Green tea with Brownies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino